Regional Economic Development Council Program Now Accepting Applications and Hosting Workshops
On May 2, 2016, Round VI of NY state’s Regional Economic Development Council (REDC) program launched. This year the New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) will invest up to $5 million in initiatives across the state’s 10 regions to enhance, transform and increase the cultural and economic vitality of New York State communities. Applications will be accepted from eligible organizations through the Consolidated Funding Application (CFA) until 4pm, July 29, 2016. For detailed information on the state’s REDC program, please review the CFA Resource Manual (NYSCA funding is featured on pages 32-45). The contract and work period for all REDC grant categories is January-December 2017. NYSCA support is available in three categories:
- Arts, Culture and Heritage New Initiatives – Planning
Planning is critical to successful development and implementation of any project and requires collaborative commitment and participation from cross-sector leaders and stakeholders. Support for planning initiatives is available in the following areas:
- Comprehensive Arts and Cultural Mapping
- Arts and Cultural Master Plan
- Arts and Culture Branding or Marketing Plan
- $10,000 – $49,500
- No match is required
- Partnership applications are strongly encouraged
- MUST encompass a specific neighborhood municipality, county, region or designated cultural or business district
2. Arts, Culture and Heritage New Initiatives – Implementation
Support is provided for new programming initiatives designed to have a tangible economic and community development impact in a community or region. Support for implementation initiatives is available in the following areas:
- Erie Canal Bicentennial Celebration
- Women’s Suffrage Commemoration
- Past NYSCA REDC Planning Grant Recipients
- $10,000 – $75,000
- 50% cash match is required (In-kind services are not permitted)
- Partnership applications are strongly encouraged.
3. Workforce Investment
Support is designed to expand the capacity of New York State’s arts, culture and heritage organizations. Workforce Investment grants will only support:
- Wages to increase a current part-time employee’s hours
- Wages to hire a new full or part-time employee
Support for Workforce Investment initiatives is available in the following areas:
- Administrative Positions
- Artistic Positions
- Arts Career Development Fellowships for Underrepresented Communities
- Resident Artist Positions
Workforce Investment Awards:
- Range from $25,000 – $49,500
- 25% cash match required
- Cash match may only include a combination of additional salary, fringe benefits and employer paid payroll taxes
- The applicant’s overall operational budget may not exceed $750,000.
- Exception: There is no limit on the organizational budget size for applications submitted for the NYSCA Arts Career Development Fellowships for Underrepresented Communities focus area.
REDC CFA Application Workshops From early May through late June, NYSCA staff, along with staff from ten other participating agencies, will present detailed information on its programs to the public at workshops across the state. Please click here for the complete schedule of upcoming workshops. The Regional Economic Development Council’s workshops will provide an overview of the Consolidated Funding Application (CFA) process and how to access up to $750 million in economic development funding from agency programs through one application. Additionally, there will be informational breakout sessions on specific categories of funding available for economic and community development projects. The workshops are open to local economic development officials, municipalities, non-profits, businesses and members of the public.
For more information on NYSCA’s REDC program, please visit our NYSCA REDC information page.